As it was the case for the other two neighbourhood workshops (Aziz Mahmut Hüday and Mimar Sinan), the mobility workshop for the Ahmediye neighbourhood was organised in Keşfet Üsküdar. On 23 May, 5 citizens and representatives of the local administration came together with our team to learn about the Cities-4-People project and brainstorm about mobility problems.
The outcomes of the workshop showed a certain degree of overlapping with what was pointed out by the participants in previous workshops, which suggests that the project has the potential develop interventions that are replicable to multiple areas. Notably, the problems faced by Ahmediye are similar to those in Aziz Mahmut Hüdayi and Mimar Sinan:
- Sidewalks are too high to step on for elderly and disabled people
- Parking space is limited in comparison with the population density and narrow streets do not allow for legal parking
- Parking prices are too high
- Social and recreational areas lack trees
- Residents bring their dogs to Doğancılar green park, often causing fear in other passers-by and leaving dirt behind
- The bazaar that takes place every Friday leads to streets being closed and impedes access to vehicles in case of emergency. Moreover, the bazaar worsens the situation of an area that is as a baseline very crowded because it is home to several governmental buildings.
Too little time was left to brainstorm on solutions, which will be part of following Lab activities. If you have ideas, get in touch with the Üsküdar team and let them know! You can find the right contact person on the contact page.